Tuesday 14 April 2015

Enduro World Series - New Zealand Crankworx

My First Enduro World Series - New Zealand Crankworx

70th - Pro Men

Iv learned a bit from the big week. I wouldn't say i'm happy with how I rode in the first few stages. The week of practice all went well, I swapped from the MAXXIS Minions to the MAXXIS Shortys for the ideal tire choice for the 7 Muddy, Loamy, Rooty Stages. They were great, I felt like a monster truck. Nutrition, bike checks, sleep, gear all sorted and ready for the 7hours on the bike.



Race Started with a 11k liasion to stage 1, I Rode with Wyn Masters, Blenki and Brook Macdonald as we all together in the start order, so had a good chat with them.  

STAGE 1 Katatore
Most Techy Stage, wet roots and slick mud, I was riding well but then I had a crash that took me down a bank with the bike on top of me, took ages to get back up and had another 2 crashes, very hard to stay on the bike on such a crazy course, going half the pace would have been twice as fast. Pretty disappointed at the end of that one, even tho everyone had a diggers (crashing). At I lost my tooth brush!! in probley the rowdiest crowd, it was still clean, "Your toothbrush!! you forgot your toothbrush!!" was all i could hear for the next 3 switch backs :/
My Time
10.49
1.48 back - 72nd

STAGE 2 Kung Fu Walrus
This stage was short and flat and suited me the most, but I had another crash on a straight after jump landing on a wet root, front wheel washed out hard and go all tangled up, lost alot of time in that fast section. "Calm Yu Farm Ben" - Deep thoughts as I got my stuff together.
My Time
4.11
42 back - 99th

STAGE 3 Frankfurter
Steepest track. I realized I really need to just stay on the bike and have a clean run, especially  this track. I had a really good run, lots of elements in this stage, Loamy Loam, Loamy Dirt, Pebbley rocks, Strobe lights from the camera men that blind you, over camber, Dips, G-outs, roots. I managed to hold it all together and stick to my lines. Really thought id get a better time.
My Time
4.14
42 back - 83rd

STAGE 4 Tihi O Towa,Billy T
MUD,ROOTS,MUD. Had a really good run.
My Time
5.52
33 back - 71st
Got my bike in Pinkbike's "19 Bikes of EWS"
STAGE 5 Hatu Patu 
Very Similar to stage 1. There is a section where you jump around a tree onto a blind 'Off Camber Wet root section' Had one crash trying to pull off that impossible maneuver, which was replayed over and over in the Redbull.live Highlights :/
My Time
4.01
43 back - 76th

STAGE 6 Redwoods DH
Had a really good run. 
My Time
4.09
31 back - 59th

STAGE 7 Skyline DH
This was proper enduro to me. Started at the very top of the mountain, twice as high as the Crankworx DH course. Started with a tight techy mudfest single track for 2min, onto a fairly long paddock sprint into the full Crankworx DH course. I had a perfect run staying on my bike through the destroyed mud track, sprinted my guts just enough that i didn't go too deep and black out and hit all my lines in the DH course.
My Time
7.21
42 back - 50th

OVERALL 70th in Pro Men

Not the result I'm happy. Looking forward to all the local Enduro, Downhill and X-Country races coming up! And look even more forward to my new 2015 Trek Slash 9.9!!!!!!


^^^Every night during the week after washing the bikes, gear and all the clothes, cooking dinner, We then had to plan out each day of riding.


Watching the Crankworx Slopestype in the VIP Section :D
My Welcome back to Rotorua Enduro Burger from 'Fat Dog'
Thanks to my travel buddies Kaine Cannon and Dave Empey! These guys were great to travel with, loads of stories, learnt the phrase 'Grouse' from Dave who said it a thousand times, Means 'Great'. And Kaine taught me how to cook, lol jokes, Kaine can't cook.




Brandon Semenuk


THANK YOU SPONSORS

Thank you Martin Whiteley, Eamon Thompson, Blake Mueller, Dylan Coulsen John Forbes, Alison Forbes, Anna Beck, Aiden Lefmann, Dean and Gen Clarke. These people have made my year and possibly my life.

23 Degrees Sports Management 
Trek Bicycle
Alpinestars
Funn
Maxxis Tires Australia
Kenmore Cycles
Sram Australia
Cyclinic
Torq Australia

No comments:

Post a Comment